Sunday, January 22, 2012

What Inspires You To Create?

My creativity seems to come in spurts. I have days where I struggle to come up with fresh ideas, and I have learned the hard way that creativity is something that can't be forced, those designs usually end up in the "what was I thinking?" pile, only to be dismantled and recreated. When my imagination seems to be on vacation, I try a variety of "easy fixes" like cleaning house (yes, this actually works for me!) or straightening my work area. I keep several beading boards handy when putting away stray leftover beads, because I have found that when I am sorting through my "stash" of supplies, ideas will come to me faster than I can create them.

A trip to my local bead store is always a quick cure. It amazes me that each time I visit the store, something different catches my eye. The beads may have been there all along, but I didn't notice them until this trip. Very rarely do I leave the store without fresh ideas and new color combinations.

The designs I love the most come from ideas sketched on a pad that I carry with me on outings. Trips to the mountains, beautiful sunsets, a painting that intrigues me, produce the most unique jewelry designs. The end product gives me the most satisfaction because it's filled with memories.

I was intrigued by the mystery of inspiration, and curious about how other jewelry designers use their imagination in their pieces. I researched artisans from the Jewelry Creators Unite in Numbers Guild on ArtFire and found a variety of gorgeous handmade designs. What inspired each piece may surprise you.

"Entrapted" by  NatureandZen . This One-Of-A-Kind design was inspired by emotion. "We all feel different sometimes. We all feel trapped in a tower of blandness. We all feel like the red flower among the silver."
An Original Art Pendant Necklace  - Entrapted - One of a Kind
More on this design.


"Eleanors Moonbow Ringlet" by TheasCherryBlossomBoutique inspired by a moonlit waterfall. "Nature's moonbow is what I thought of, and at night many of the colors you see when looking at a waterfall's moonbow are in shades of blue & teal."Eleanors Moonbow Ringlet
More on this design.


Pearl Cluster Earrings by PrettyGonzo inspired by a party! As soon as I read the inspiration behind this design, I could picture it in my mind.
Pearl Cluster Earrings with Pink Crystals and Blue Beads
More on this design.
Red Poppy Necklace by ShadowDogDesigns inspired by a field of Red
Poppies. "I love poppies of all colors, but especially red ones."Red Poppy Pendant Coral Black Lava Handmade One of a Kind Necklace
More on this design.

Blue Caterpillar bracelet by SagesCupboard inspired by nature, and of all things, a caterpillar! "Nature is always a wonderful muse, and there’s nothing quite like the colors and shapes of insects to inspire a design. This bracelet has a quirky appeal that goes well with both natural and bold colors."Blue Caterpillar Bracelet. Black Fringed and Cream Beadwork Bangle
More on this design.
Boho style Turquoise necklace by epicetera inspired by a visit to the market. "I recently visited a market in Santa Fe New Mexico. I was captivated by the colors. From clay pottery to leather belts with turquoise buckles, the colors inspired me to create this piece."Rustic Southwest Nevada Turquoise Beaded Necklace, Santa Fe
More on this design.
While writing this article, NatureandZen's spectacular necklace, "Entrapted" inspired me to create a collection. I was drawn to the colors, but the exquisite design tells a story. When I viewed the piece, I envisioned an artist, alone....trapped within the walls of her imagination, until a vision appears in the form of glorious blooms of creativity.
To view the collection inspired by these talented artists, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment