Sunday, January 29, 2012

My name is Pam, and I'm a Beadaholic

I thought it might be possible, but now I know for sure. I spent one and a half days "camped out" at my local bead shop while they had a sale on gemstones. After bringing home 2 completely stuffed bags of stones the first day, I felt compelled to go back the next. It's not that I need these, I have enough stones and beads to keep me busy for a long, long time. So, what is it? How does a person know that they are a beadaholic?

For starters, when a trip to the bead store results in something that looks like this:

In this photo, there are over  125 strands of gemstones!  




Despite the obvious evidence, I wasn't quite ready to admit to being a full blown beadaholic. I did a little soul searching and asked myself these questions:

1. Do you buy beads specifically for a project?
    a) never  b) sometimes  c) always 

2. Do you enjoy "the thrill of the hunt" for beads?
    a) always  b) sometimes  c) never

3. Do you use the beads on hand before buying more?
    a) never  b) sometimes  c) always

4. Do you plan to use all of the beads you have on hand?
  a) it's not possible   b) I'll try  c) absolutely

5. Do you talk to your beads?
  a) doesn't everyone?  b) sometimes  c) absolutely not!

Scoring: 3 points for each a) answer, 2 for each b) and 1 for each c).

11-15 points, you are definitely a beadaholic!
6-10 points, you are a casual beader, in danger of becoming a beadaholic
5-9 points, you are probably a beginner, or don't have access to beads


So, how did YOU do??????


11 comments:

  1. I'm Pam too, and I'm relieved to say your heap of beads made me feel quite restrained! I do find it hard though to resist really yummy beads but now I make a lot of my own beads I have to resist the temptation of new clay colours and new texture sheets etc. Oh and as for clasps and findings....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my....I think I'll go have a peek at your clay beads, one can never have enough of those.........:)

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha . . . My name is Catherine and I have been a Beadaholic for a looooong time now! GREAT post, Pam!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Hi, Catherine......yes, we didn't help each other too much at that sale. I think your bag looked as full as mine! They say "admitting is the first step...) but I'm wondering, "first step to what?" I was back at the bead store yesterday!

      Delete
  3. Replace "beads" with "balls of yarn" and you got me. The staff at my local A.C. Moore all know me by name, and I swear the girl in Frames notifies the front end when I'm leaving the yarn area because I always hear a request for back up as I'm making my way to the registers with my carriage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Babs!!! We all probably belong to the "craftaholic" club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I clicked on this because I caught sight of a huge pile of beads on my FB page! That about says it all, doesn't it?

    Great post - I actually did the survey and can confirm that I am, indeed, a beadaholic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh . . . and so many of the beads in your pile look the same as mine! You are so right - first step to what? MORE beads??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh .what fun ...all that work and decide what to make
    HAVE FUN :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And to think I've been back to the bead store at least 5 times since photographing that pile of beads. Alas, there is no hope for me :) All I can think of to say is, "if loving them is wrong, I don't wanna be right." LOL!

    ReplyDelete